How To Make Sloe Gin - Quick Recipe Guide
Today I'm going to show you how to make sloe gin at home, it's an absolute classic drink and it's really simple to make. It takes a bit of time to produce but it's really worth it, the drink works perfectly as a festively liqueur and it also makes some fantastic cocktails it is also a great gift to give at Christmas.
You can pick these sloe berries any time from the end of September through til November/December but you're really looking for a plum bright berry, I picked my sloe's myself however you can buy some on Amazon here if it's convenient.
- Large sealable sterilized jar
- 450 grams of Sloe Berries
- 700ml bottle of gin (good quality) we chose to use Bombay Sapphire Gin+
- 150 grams of caster sugar
Instructions & Recipe
- Get your 450 grams of sloe’s and put it into the jug through the funnel
- Tip the 150 grams of caster sugar over the sloe’s through the funnel
- Pour your 700ml gin all the way to the top of the sealable jar, do keep in mind our sealable jar can hold 1.5L
- Seal the jar
- Once you're absolutely sure it's sealed you just turn the jar upside down, you don't need to shake it vigorously
- Make sure that the sugar, gin sloe berries are mixed completely
Now for the waiting part, you're going to turn the jar every other day for two months by which time you're going to have a really lovely fruit liqueur. If you wait an extra month you're going to get the armondi essence from the sloe’s which gives it more of an aromatic touch and it's a bit more rounded out but either way it's delicious.
I would advise taking out the sloes after three months and straining it into your gin bottle, although it may be tempting to drink your creation it’s best to leave it in the bottle for an extra week as it allows the sloe’s to mellow rounding out all the flavours.